During this time, where food options might be limited in our households, I think it is especially beneficial to have some healthy and easy to make snacks on hand to satisfy or cravings. Whether you just want something in between your meals, just before training or as a recovery snack, these are perfect and really easy to make in 20 min!
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raw almonds, walnuts, or any kind of nuts that you like (roughly chopped)
- 1 heaping packed cup dates (pitted)
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp flax seeds (ground or whole)
- 2 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup creamy salted natural peanut butter or almond butter
- Toast the oats and almonds in a 350-degree F /176 C oven for 13-15 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- Process dates in a blender or food processor until only small bits remain . It should form a “dough” like consistency.
- Place oats, almonds and dates in a large mixing bowl. Add seeds and set aside.
- Warm agave and peanut or almond butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir and pour over oat mixture and then mix with a spoon or your hands to combine.
- Transfer to an 8×8 dish or other small pan lined with plastic wrap or parchment paper so they lift out easily.
- Press the layer down with something flat, such as the bottom of a glass, to get them really packed tight. This will help them from being crumbly. Chill in the fridge or freezer for 15-20 minutes to harden.
- Remove bars from dish, chop them into even bars and Store in an airtight container for up to a few days.
This might interst you as well:
health benefits that you did not know about and how plants can be the remedy for many common issues like high blood pressure, being overweight and diabetes
How to fuel yourself properly for training and optimal recovery – the benefits of plant-based nutrition