These are super easy to make and only require a short amount of time because they are served raw! This recipe is mostly made of healthy, whole food ingredients such as dates and almonds that make this treat even more delicious. If you love chocolate and caramel, like basically all of the people I know, you definitely need to try these.
For the shortbread base:
- 200 g ground almond
- 100 ml agave syrup
- 60 g coconut oil *
For the caramel layer:
- 300 g pitted dates
- 150 g almond butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 6 tbsp water
- 250 g dark chocolate
- First blend your almond flour in a food processor to a fine texture
- Add the agave and coconut oil and blend until fully combined.
- Coat a baking tin with some coconut oil to prevent the bars from sticking to the surface and spread the shortbread ingredients in, patting it down to compact it. (you could also use parchment paper to line the tray, as the squares might not be easy to remove in the end, without breaking them)
- Leave in freezer while you make the caramel.
- Blend together your ingredients for the caramel layer and begin to melt the chocolate in a hot water bath.
- Spread the caramel mixture on top of the shortbread in a smooth layer.
- Then pour the melted chocolate over the caramel layer and spread out evenly.
- Put in the freezer to set and the chocolate to harden for 15 minutes or longer.
- Cut into squares and Enjoy!
- Afterward I stored mine in the freezer as they melt down quite quickly ; )
* I used half coconut oil, half cacao powder as I ran out of oil
If you enjoyed this recipe be sure to give it a like and comment down below. Click the button to follow this blog for more delicious recipes ; )